There has been an enormous amount of excitement and hype around CBD (cannabidiol) over recent years. The possible benefits of this miracle cannabinoid continue to grow as more and more people report on its ability to manage symptoms from a wide variety of conditions such as pain, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and PTSD. Different from the second most active cannabinoid in cannabis called THC, CBD does not actually get you high. The effects of CBD are not so much felt physically, but are visible in how they reduce symptoms. With the ever-growing interest and demand for CBD, producers and retailers have created a wide variety of products to consume the cannabinoid. There are many options when it comes to CBD products such as candies, chocolates, topical solutions and tinctures, but if you’re a CBD fan and also love to make your own treats, CBD lollipops are a tasty alternative that you can make right in the comfort of your own home.
What is CBD?
CBD stands for cannabidiol, and it is one of many cannabinoids (chemicals) found in the cannabis sativa plant. Although there are more than 80 cannabinoids within the cannabis plant, the major active cannabinoids are THC and CBD. CBD is a non-intoxicating cannabinoid meaning it doesn’t have the same psychoactive properties as THC does. Although research behind this cannabinoid is on-going and constantly developing, CBD seems to be having many positive effects on patients suffering from pain, anxiety and most notably, epileptic seizures. CBD seems to prevent the chemicals in the brain which initiate pain from breaking down, making it a seemingly good solution for pain and anxiety reduction as well.
What Types of CBD Products Are There?
CBD has become a mainstream topic in recent years and can be found incorporated into everything from beauty products to beverages. With such a wide variety of options to consume CBD, there’s something available for everyone. Some common CBD products are:
- Ointments, creams and other topical solutions
- Edibles in a variety of food formats such as candies, gummies, crisps, brownies and chocolates
- Capsules which can be swallowed
- CBD oil and tinctures
- Vape cartridges
- High CBD Flower
CBD Dosage for Lollipops and Other Forms
Unfortunately, there is not a precise dosage guide in place to help you determine exactly how much you need, however, there are recommendations to start within the 2.5 – 10 mg range. This is a good dosage starting point to help with alleviating anxiety. As dosage requirements can vary from person to person based on many unique variables such as age, weight, genetics, metabolism and any medications that person may also be taking, it’s important to start with a lower dosage and increase incrementally until the desired effects are achieved. There is not a “one size fits all” when it comes to dosing, so start small, and take your time to determine what works best for you.
What to Look For With CBD Products?
As there are such an enormous number of options when it comes to purchasing CBD products, it’s important to know what to look for. You’ll want to make sure you read the product label and determine the dosage of CBD per serving. You’ll also want to note the product batch date and expiration date to make sure you’re purchasing the product in its optimal time frame, similarly as you would at a grocery store. You’ll also want to consider the overall weight of the product and how many doses that weight will give you, as well as the recommended use instructions.
CBD Lollipop Recipe
Now that you’ve learned a bit about what CBD is, suggested dosages and the variety of products there are available, it’s time to learn how you can make your own CBD lollipops from home!
What You’ll Need
Before you dive in, you’ll need to make sure you have a few items ready for your delicious CBD lollipop creation. Here’s a list of items you’ll need:
- Saucepan (medium sized)
- Candy Thermometer
- Sticks for your CBD lollipops
- Lollipop Mold (Silicone to prevent sticking)
- Spoon for stirring (Silicone)
You’ll also need to make sure you have all the ingredients necessary before starting. You’ll need the following ingredients:
- CBD tincture
- Sugar (1 cup – raw cane sugar or organic for best results)
- Water (1/4 cup filtered)
- Light corn syrup (1/2 cup)
- Natural peppermint flavouring (3 teaspoons
- Fine powder cane sugar
Now that you have all of your kitchen tools and ingredients ready to go, it’s time to dive in and start making your own homemade CBD lollipops.
- In the medium saucepan combine the sugar, filtered water and corn syrup and stir over medium heat until the mixture has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately stop stirring.
- Place the candy thermometer in the mixture and monitor until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- As soon as the mixture has reached 300 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it from the heat.
- Monitor the candy thermometer, and when it reads 250 degrees Fahrenheit, you can stir in 1 teaspoon of CBD tincture and 3 teaspoons of natural peppermint flavouring.
- Place your CBD lollipop sticks into the lollipop mold and pour the mixture in.
- Let the mixture cool in the molds for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Remove your CBD lollipops from their molds and dust them with the fine powder cane sugar to help prevent them from sticking together.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place.
Now that you have the basics down, feel free to experiment with this recipe by substituting the peppermint flavouring with a different flavour of your choice. You can also skip the step of placing the lollipop sticks in the mold to create individual hard candies. Play around with different molds, try a variety of CBD tinctures and create you own unique, fun and tasty CBD lollipop treat to take with you on the go, or enjoy while relaxing at home.